12 December 2009

Air Travel - Dress for Your Flight

Yesterday, as I was in the airport, I was thinking about how I needed to update my blog. I kept thinking about what I would talk about when my mind started drifting and as I was people watching it hit me. Everyone seems really confused about how to dress for a flight (be it long or short). It's easy for dudes as most comfortable dude clothes are simple to travel in and look relatively put together, but as a lady, it's rough being in the airport. From picking the easiest shoes to wear through security to not looking like you just rolled out of bed, dressing for a day on a plane is as tough as picking out what to wear to dinner with the Ambassador of China. So, I put together some Tips & Tricks to dressing for the airport.


#1 - Comfortable Bottom
I'm personally a huge fan of wearing yoga pants. they're breathable and comfy and look a lot less sloppy than a velour sweatsuit or sweatpants and they breathe much more nicely than jeans (plus they don't wrinkle!)

Pictured - Lululemon Groove Pants

#2 - Comfy Socks
Cashmere Socks, Sport Socks, Weird Holiday Pattern Socks: You love it? Wear It.

Pictured - Nike Dri-fir Running socks


#3 - Easy On, Easy Off Shoe
I have a personal vendetta against Uggs. Please Stop Wearing Uggs to the Airport.
Pick a nice sneaker (I wore my Creative Recs yesterday, sometimes i wear Keds), Boat Shoes, Sanuks, Toms, Vans Slip Ons.
Zippy Boots, Rain Boots, Uggs, are all a pain when you're running and out of security.



Pictured (top to bottom) - Tom's, Creative Recreation Cesario Lo, Sperry Topsiders


#4 - Layer your tops for a Comfortable Flight
Let's face it, planes are never the right temperature. ever. So layering is important.
One second the Cabin is 5000 degrees and the next you feel as though you're outside of the plane.
Try a rugby shirt and a Racerback tank, a Vneck Sweater and a White Tee, A Cardigan and a Tee, etc.


Pictured - Rugbies for Layering, Layered Shawl Cardigan

#5 - Be Smart About Accessories
Don't wear too much jewelry, stick the important jewelry items in your carry on. Sometimes they set off the security sensor.
Wear a couple of hair ties on your wrist. I always find myself wanting to tie my hair into a loose bun on planes.
Wear a fun scarf that matches your ensemble. I am HUGE proponent of the pashmina, draped casually about the neck.
Don't Forget Sunglasses! Nothing is worse than the awful sun glare when you're above the clouds.


Pictured - Pashmina Scarves, Dolce & Gabbana Sunglasses


The rest is easy, pick a destination appropriate jacket, remember that any liquids (under 3.4 oz) that you carry on have to fit in ONE quart sized bag (it's awful, i know) & you'll be flying like a pro.

So, friends, I leave you with this advice. Take it for what you will, and remember to travel safely as you jet around this holiday season!

No comments:

Post a Comment